Header Bild

ISFR 2015

September 7 th – September 10 th 2015

City of Leoben

City of Leoben's coat of arms

Leoben was shaped for centuries by the trade in iron and the research in raw materials carried out at Montan­universität Leoben (est. 1840). Already in medieval times, iron ore of “Erzberg”, a still operated ore deposit about 30 km north of Leoben, was processed to iron.  Nowadays, a steel plant of voestalpine produces rail tracks and steel wires at Leoben-Donawitz. Mining traditions still play an important part in city life. Examples are the Miners' Parade, the St. Barbara Celebration or the Ledersprung ("Leather Jump"). The Gösser Kirtag, a street fair, takes place on the Thursday after the first Sunday in October and attracts tens of thousands of visitors to Leoben.

Leoben looks back on more than 1000 years history. The 13th century Main Square features the Hackl House with its baroque façade in red and white. The City Parish Church, St. Francis Xavier, built in 1660, comprises a 17th-century interior and is considered one of the most significant Jesuit churches in Austria. The oldest convent for women in Styria is Göss Abbey. Founded in 1020, it was run by the Benedictine nuns until it was dissolved in 1782. The early Romanesque crypt is of note as is the 'Gösser Ornat,' which can be seen in Vienna (Museum for Applied Arts). Next to the convent is the Gösser brewery, which includes a brewery museum.

Click to zoom!

"Erzberg"
Steel plant of voestalpine
"Ledersprung"
Fair "Gösser Kirtag"
Main square
City Parish Church, St. Francis Xavier
Göss Abbey
Göss Brewery
The town's landmark "Schwammerlturm"